Monday, July 27, 2009

It is Well with My Soul

I love this hymn, and I've loved it even more ever since I heard the story behind its writing.

Horatio Spafford was a lawyer of some prominence in Chicago. He and his wife Anna had one son and four daughters, and were good friends of D.L. Moody and Ira Sankey for many years. Mr. Spafford's children had come to Christ through the influence of Ira Sankey's music and efforts with the children of Chicago. Shortly before the Great Chicago Fire of October 8th, 1871, the Spafford's son died and the family went into deep mourning. After the fire ravaged the city, Mr. Spafford found himself financially ruined. He had invested heavily in downtown Chicago real estate, which was now gone. He and his wife turned to the people of the city, helping to minister to those who were homeless and in desperate need.

After two years of ministering to the people of Chicago, Mr. Spafford thought his family needed a vacation. D. L. Moody and Ira Sankey were in England holding evangelical meetings and bringing countless thousands to Christ. Mr. Spafford decided to take his family to England, where they could vacation and also be a help to his friends Moody and Sankey.

Mr. Spafford booked passage for his family on the ship SS Ville de Havre, but at the last minute was unable to go with his family due to business. He promised to follow them within a few weeks and they would all be reunited in England.

As the ship sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, it collided with the English ship Lochearn, and iron sailing vessel. On November 22, 1873, the SS Ville de Havre sank within 12 minutes. 226 lives were lost, including the four Spafford daughters. Mrs. Spafford was rescued from a floating piece of debris. When she arrived in Wales 10 days later she cabled a message to her husband, "Saved Alone..."


Mr. Spafford booked passage on the next ship heading to England. As the ship crossed the area where the SS Ville de Havre sank, taking his precious daughters to the ocean's depths, Mr. Spafford felt the Holy Spirit fill him with a comforting peace. Leaving the ship's railing he went into his cabin where he penned the Hymn that has soothed so many souls who have been brokenhearted...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

By Horatio Spafford (1828 - 1888)

from Hope Chest Legacy

3 comments:

robert said...

Thanks for telling the story behind Horatio Spafford's beautiful song of faith, "It Is Well." Recently, on my blog, Wordwise Hymns, I've had a favourite hymn poll running. Usually, "Amazing Grace," and "How Great Thou Art" place at the top of these. However, in my survey (admittedly unscientific) "It Is Well" is ahead by a wide margin.

God bless you both. I trust it is well with you today.

Anonymous said...

Hello there all, I just registered on this fantastic discussion board and wished to say hiya! Have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails